Cold and flu season is fast approaching! National Handwashing Awareness Week, December 1st through December 7th, is a perfect time to learn how to prevent the spread of illnesses through proper handwashing. Use the tips below to keep yourself and others healthy this flu season:
- Wash your hands when they become dirty, whether it’s after using the restroom, coming into contact with sick individuals, or touching dirty surfaces.
- Always wash your hands before eating.
- Properly wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds. When instructing little ones to wash their hands, have them sing the “Happy Birthday” song.
- Do not cough or sneeze into your hands. Instead, use the bend of your elbow or a tissue to cover your mouth to avoid spreading germs to others.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth with your hands, even if they are clean. Many illnesses are transmitted through these orifices and can cause you to get sick.
Practice these handwashing techniques in combination with a healthy diet and sleep pattern to help prevent winter illnesses.