One of our A+ rated Property and Casualty insurance clients has a need for an experienced Accounting and Financial Reporting Manager in their Home Office in the Quad Cities, IA area. This position provides leadership and supervision for the home office Accounting team. In addition, this position is responsible for directing and overseeing the filing of state and federal reports and the providing of financial data and information to the company’s parent organization, boards of directors and senior management. The Manager will be groomed to replace the current CAO who will be retiring in the foreseeable future.
- Directs and supervises the work of the financial reporting, reinsurance loss review and federal tax sections of the accounting department, including the quality, quantity and timeliness of work and information produced and reported.
- Maintains current company and department procedures. Assigns work, provides training and feedback to team members, and conducts timely and appropriate evaluations of job performance in the department.
- Applies and interprets the principles, theories and concepts of accounting (Statutory and GAAP) in the preparation, analysis, interpretation and development of annual and quarterly statements, expense exhibits, state and federal taxes, premium tax calculations, budgets, projections, cash forecasts, inter-company reports and supplemental reporting requirements
- Oversees and participates in the preparation of various financial documents, ensuring that they are properly supported and completed within designated time frames
- Implements and maintains internal controls to safeguard company assets
- Oversees various audit processes and serves as a resource for others when completing internal and external audits
- Identifies and resolves complex problems in the interpretation, use and application of accounting data and information, as well as external and internal requirements or regulations for such data and information
- Reviews departmental operations for efficiency and accuracy. Recommends and expedites solutions for problems or deficiencies
- Develops, maintains and enhances good working relationships with all internal and external customers
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelors degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field required
- Masters degree or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) highly preferred or current progress in acquiring the designation
- 5-10 years of public accounting experience preferred with 5 years of insurance accounting experience
- Minimum of 2 years of supervisory or management experience
- Working knowledge of financial reporting – state and federal
- Overall general ledger knowledge
- Working knowledge of COSO and Sarbanes Oxley documentation and testing
- Knowledge and experience with GL fluctuation analysis
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel and spreadsheet development
- Superior independent judgement and decision making skills
- Excellent interpretation and analysis skills
- Strong communication skills – both verbal and written; ability to communicate complex and confidential financial information to various audiences in an appropriate and professional manner
This is an outstanding career opportunity with a clear, well defined path in the company’s long-term succession plan. Our client offers a very competitive compensation and benefits package, relocation assistance, an outstanding work culture and excellent job security. Initially, this position will work remotely until the COVID pandemic allows the workforce to return to the Home Office setting.