Our Client is seeking a highly motivated self-starter as a Mainframe Systems Admin/Programmer to manage the corporate mainframe environment. The successful candidate will be proficient working in and supporting a Parallel Sysplex mainframe environment, be familiar with mainframe performance management and tuning, work well with vendors and hardware providers, ramp up quickly on large projects, work independently to understand business needs, and design solutions to produce high availability environments. The candidate’s primary responsibilities will include zOS installation, administration, and patching. The candidate’s secondary responsibilities will include maintaining the Sysplex environment including both hardware and software support duties, planning for future capacity, execution of projects to implement new hardware and software, and on-call support.
- Install, maintain, & support zOS upgrades and maintenance
- Install, maintain, & support mainframe hardware solutions
- Install, maintain, & support mainframe infrastructure software
- Monitor and manage mainframe performance
- Coordinate with hardware and software vendors for support and future project work
- Budgetary planning for mainframe hardware and software
- Create comprehensive documentation, conduct thorough testing, and follow defined change control processes.
- Provide support for mission critical application infrastructure and products
- Effectively communicate with end-users, application programmers, co-workers, managers, and other stakeholders
- Demonstrate a high level of initiative and attention to detail during daily operations
- Minimum of 3 years experience with mainframe zOS upgrades/JES exit support
- Minimum of 3 years experience with mainframe hardware support
- Minimum of 3 years experience with mainframe capacity planning and performance tuning
- Minimum of 3 years experience with mainframe third party software installation and support
- Minimum of 3 years experience with Cobol, REXX, JCL, and JES2. Assembler knowledge a plus.
- Experience using automated unit testing and writing test code
- High level of initiative and attention to detail
- Familiarity with application build tools
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent customer support skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with various Infrastructure software solutions, change management, scheduling, performance monitoring, etc. (ex. Zeke, Zebb, ISPW, TMON, JCLPrep, QuickRef, SAS)
- Experience with virtual tape libraries, infrastructure, and support
- Experience with maintaining and operating in a Sysplex environment including sharing of DASD
- Experience working with and maintaining a Coupling Facility environment.
- Familiarity with support of Unix System Services
- Familiarity with ITIL based ticketing system from a user perspective for change, incident, and problem management
4-yr College Degree preferably Information Systems or Computer Science