Primary Objective of Position of Quality Engineer
Due to internal promotion, our client is in need of a hands-on Quality Engineer who will support the Engineering job functions of Quality Assurance to meet customer and organizational objectives in one of the company’s three major value streams.
Develops Quality Systems and processes; collaboratively supports value stream team; resolves quality problems; evaluates quality systems applications and equipment; assures product quality; prepares technical performance reports.
Provide technical leadership and direction to Supervisors, Leads and Operators to foster learning and growth for potential future assignments.
Collaborates with company personnel to ensure compliance to company and customer specifications and expectations; and assists with the overall implementation and ongoing support of the Quality Management System (QMS).
Major Areas of Responsibility
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Designs, implements and evaluates quality process sampling systems, procedures and statistical techniques.
- Designs or specifies inspection methods and testing mechanisms and equipment.
- Recommends revision of specifications when indicated.
- Formulates or helps formulate quality policies, procedures, and work instructions in support of the QMS.
- Interfaces with all other functional areas within the company and with customers and suppliers on quality-related issues.
- Provides ongoing training and development of quality and production personnel by organizing and presenting training activities, such as: Statistical Process Control (SPC), quality requirements, measuring techniques, gauge usage, comparator print techniques, and other test procedures.
- Key participant in internal and external quality audits.
- Leads quality projects as assigned.
- Works with internal and external customers preparing and submitting FAIR’s, Control Plans and PPAP’s.
- Supports and assists supplier development.
- Support Length Centering System (LCS) and Bytewise in-line laser measurement systems for proper operation.
- Participate on customer teams to support customer and quality initiatives. Participation includes quality data reporting and analysis, new product introduction activities, continuous improvement activities, and quality issue resolution.
- Reviews and writes Engineering Change Requests (ECR’s), requesting or authorizing changes as needed.
- Develops Quality Plans with customers to accommodate for special arrangements beyond normal company requirements. This may include reviewing customer purchase orders, contracts, change requests, and customer supplier requirement documents.
- Reviews and works corrective actions, looking for problem trends. Quarantines or segregates affected finished goods or raw materials as warranted. Regularly communicates internally, as well as externally with customers, suppliers and other relevant parties on status of corrective actions.
- Participant in weekly Material Review Board (MRB) team meeting.
- Assist or lead and/or support teams in the improvement efforts of reducing DPPM or scrap cost internally and externally.
- Supports company policies and procedures and conducts departmental and company activities in accordance with these policies.
- Every employee is expected to support the company QMS in accordance with Quality System Manual and documented procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline.
- ASQ Certified Quality Engineer (CQE) or ASQ Certified Quality Auditor certification preferred.
- 5+ years of previous experience in a manufacturing environment working within Quality Management Systems with ISO9001 or ISO13485 preferred.
- Experience working with statistical quality control tools (SPC) and metrics.
- Experience reading, analyzing and interpreting engineering drawings as well as conducting product defect investigations, root cause analysis and corrective action proposals.
- Value Stream experience or exposure preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office, specifically Excel.
- Ability to work with minimal direct leadership in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated, analytical data-driven decision-making capabilities with a commitment to quality and customer service.
- Lean manufacturing knowledge and training preferred.
- Strong problem-solving ability required.