Our client’s substation service division is seeking SENIOR SUBSTATION TECHNICIANS to offer on-site inspection, testing, maintenance, oil processing, relocating and repair services for transformers and associated substation equipment. Their field service capabilities include all types of oil handling, servicing, reconditioning, maintenance, testing, rigging and heavy hauling.
• Ability to perform all aspects of substation services (repair, processing & testing) and demonstrate an exceptional understanding of transformers, construction operation and the associated controls.
• Have the ability to perform in shop and field transformer testing for Power Factor, Excitation and resistance readings per NETA/ANSI Standards and maintain operational mechanical systems including pump operations, valve operations and oil processing units.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Troubleshoot and test transformers using various methods and testing equipment including partial installation of transformer components.
• Verify repairs using various start-up testing procedures.
• Conduct acceptance testing and preventative maintenance in accordance with the published testing procedures.
• Operate specialized test equipment including but not limited to: Power Factor Tester (DOBLE), Megohmmeters, AC/DC volt-ohm-millimeters, various kinds of hand-held power and non-power tools, etc.
• Ability to make electrical measurements, mechanical adjustments, assemble and disassemble parts/equipment correctly.
• Read and understand instruction manuals.
• Maintain a professional attitude when representing the company during phone or personal contact with outside vendors, customers or service providers etc.
• Observe all safety procedures and use proper protective gear.
• Complete required paperwork for each job accurately and on a timely basis.
• Perform other skilled or non-skilled duties as directed by supervisor.
• Must be willing and able to travel on overnight, multi-day, out of town jobs.
• Must be willing and able to work regular overtime including nights, weekends and some holidays.
• Acceptance and Diagnostic Testing, Substation Commissioning Testing, Relay Calibration
• Doble, Transformer Turns ratio, Megger, Etc.
• Problem and Failure Investigation, Internal Inspection & Condition Assessment
• Paper Samples for Degree of Polymerization Testing
• Ability to pass a pre-employment DOT drug screen, and physical.
• Complete a satisfactory nationwide criminal background check.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
• Ability to lift 50 + lbs., climb ladders, stand for extended periods of time.
Education and/or Experience:
• High School Diploma or GED REQUIRED
• Associates Degree in Industrial Maintenance, Electrical/Electronic Technology preferred.
• 10+ years of commensurate Substation work experience preferred.
• Electrical theory education and/or related experience is required.
• Military experience is a plus.