The job interview process is daunting, but it can be made easier by having polished, essential interview skills. Brush up on these important skills before your next interview:
- Be prepared. While this should be a given, many individuals go into the interview process without any preparation at all. Look into the background information of the company to be familiar with the leaders, direction and climate of the company before sitting down for an interview. This will help you know what questions to ask and to present yourself as resourceful and self-sufficient.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for the position. Showing passion and drive for the work you would be doing indicates to your potential employer how you would handle the responsibilities and tasks dispersed to you. You must work to convince your potential employer that you want the job, not just that you are capable.
- Be confident, but not overly confident. People are typically drawn more towards people who have confidence, but being overly confident can be off putting. Work to find a middle ground potential employers would be comfortable with and drawn to.
- Dress above the culture. First impressions are important, and you only get one chance to make one. Not only will you impress your potential employer, looking great can boost your confidence.
- Make sure to follow up. Whether with a handwritten thank you note, by e-mail or a simple phone call, be sure to follow up with the potential employer thanking them for their time and occasionally checking in on progress.
Are your interview skills ready for your next interview?